Christmas Present of the Year

 


When I was 15, a little preaching was still the norm in schools. A preacher came to our school and said that the greatest Christmas present was Jesus himself. He encouraged us to unwrap the gift from God. I thought it was a novel idea, but didn't respond to his encouragement that year. A further 7 years went by before I  tore off the Christmas wrapping paper, and the contents - the Saviour, Jesus Christ became MY personal gift from God. 

Ever since that Christmas, I have studied, meditated on, examined, experienced, tasted and rejoiced over this great gift! Several decades have passed and I have discovered to an ever-increasing degree how precious, how wide, high, deep and long this generous gift is. There are continually new facets to encounter! It's like the pearl in the parable told by Jesus, that the merchant sold everything in order to purchase, since it was such a valuable treasure! Also for me, this gift of Jesus Christ is more precious that anything else in life, and is absolutely worth prioritizing, at the expense of  "building my own kingdom".  

Today I was considering something: We say, "Jesus gives joy, peace and freedom", and this is true. But sometimes we might have the impression that it is joy, peace and freedom that are the gifts, and I think this focus is not quite right. Maybe I thought this was the case once. I had need of joy, peace and freedom and I sought Jesus for these gifts. Yet within me was a restlessness and something that was unsatisfied. Through the years, something has changed deep in my heart! Today, it is Jesus himself that I consider the gift, the treasure and the pearl of great price! HE is the one I love, seek and value. The amazing thing about this is that joy, peace and freedom are the by-products of having Jesus. It's not that we put our money in the slot, and the goods come out. No, the kingdom of God does not function like an automatic vending machine. Rather, it's just like the Bible says, "He who has the Son, has Life!" The blessings follow the Person!

As I meditated on this, my thoughts went to Jesus where he feeds 5000 people with a little bread and fish. The people then followed Jesus, and Jesus told them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled.  Do not labour for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you." Maybe we're not hungry for food, but we are hungry for happiness, warmth and freedom from the things that weigh us down. There's nothing wrong with that; we have real needs and deep longings. But I think Jesus desires to be sought out for who He is. He longs for us to truly know Him, love him and worship him because he knows that only then will we find the true LIFE that flows from his person. 


In my experience, there are not many people who seek Jesus passionately for who he is, and who love him to the extent that they are willing to deny themselves. It's like a well-guarded secret, available for all, yet hidden from the eyes of those whose focus is themselves. I have met Jesus-minded people and they inspire me! I have grown to be a Jesus-seeker myself, and I have found that  joy, peace and freedom are greater in my life now than some years ago when I tended to be in the driver's seat of my life!  I thank God for that - for his patience and forbearance with me, in the way he draws out the right response from me. "I will draw all men to myself," He says. 

Have you discovered the Christmas present of the year? Have you torn away all the trappings of Christmas and begun to know this great gift? Is he the One you seek, the one of true value to you? Do you love HIM? If so, joy, peace and freedom will increase in your life - guaranteed! He who has the Son, has life! That's the Christmas present of the year, the greatest treasure you will ever find! 💓

Comments